Transcript of projo.com candidate chat with Rep. Langevin to his Second Congressional District

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- .U.S. Rep. James Langevin joined projo.com readers at midday Monday for the latest in a series of candidate chats. Langevin, a Democrat, is running for reelection to his Second Congressional District seat.
Here is a transcript of the chat, edited for organization. It will be archived on our politics page, along with the chats with other candidates, at: ,projo.com/politics:
Congressman Langevin: Hello everyone! Thanks for sending along your questions for today's chat. It has been my privilege to represent the Second District for nearly a decade. I have always tried to listen, and to explain my decisions, whether it's in a quiet corner of a senior center, at a town hall meeting or here now online. I want to continue to foster the accessibility and transparency that so critical to our democracy.
I am running again to meet the challenges we face head-on. Right now my first priority is to create jobs, to get our economy back on track. I see my job as helping to build the bridges that will connect us and move us all forward together, and building bridges always starts with conversations like this. Thank you for taking the time to read along, and I look forward to getting into more specifics as I take your questions.
Jim from RIC: 1. What role do you see higher education playing in strengthening the economy?
Jim_Langevin: Higher education is going to play a critical role in the future of our state's economy. But we have to make ensure that we're not just educating our students, but that we're actualy preparing them for the jobs of the 21st century economy. For example, we need to reach out to the business community and understand where the needs are and where the opportunities for job growth are occurring. Two prime examples of future job opportunities can be found in the fields of alternative energy and biotechnology.
Nancy: Hi Jim, I work at Rhode Island College in the Alumni Office. Access is always an issue for public education. Can you tell us, Congressman Langevin, what steps are being taken to ensure access for students with financial need?
Jim_Langevin: It's vitally important that we have a first-rate system of public education and that all students should be able to pursue a college education. Higher education should be a right for everyone, not just a privilege for those who can afford it. That's why I was proud to support the increase in the Pell Grant program this year, raising Pell Grants to $5550 and even more over time. I also supported legislation that makes student loans more affordable.
pkass: Congressman, how do you feel about your primary race?
Jim_Langevin: Hi pkass, thanks for your question. Elections are always a challenge, and they present a great opportunity to discuss the important issues that are facing us, whether it's in our communities, our state or our nation. I welcome the chance to debate different points of view but also to talk about the record of achievement that I have built on behalf of the people I represent, particularly in the areas of fixing our broken health care system and getting our economy back on track and creating jobs. While I never take any election for granted, I am confident that my record will speak for itself and the voters will once again place their trust in me.
Pamela: Are you happy with the state of health care in the U.S. now that the reform package has become law?
Jim_Langevin: Pamela, thanks for raising this important issue. This year, Congress took an historic step toward fixing our broken health care system, which was both unaffordable and unsustainable. I am confident that the bill we passed will cut costs in the long run and improve quality, while covering millions of people who previously did not have health insurance.
I'm pleased that in just a matter of months, the health reform bill has already resulted in significant changes for my constituents, including assistance for small businesses, eliminating denials for children with pre-existing conditions, taking steps to close the Medicare prescription drug donut hole for our seniors, allowing adult children to remain on their parents' insurance through age 26 and funding high risk pools for those with chronic conditions. That said, much more remains to be done, and a lot more such changes will be coming in the next several years.
Bernie Beaudreau: Hello Congressman. What is the most pressing issue facing you this week?
Jim_Langevin:
Hi Bernie. Clearly the most pressing issue right now is getting this economy back on track and creating good jobs. But at the moment, my main concern is doing well in this web chat!
Prov Voter: Hello Congressman Langevin - thank you for you service to the RI over these past 10 years. I was wondering whether you had a favorite political movie that you like and might recommend to us in the chat that are interested in politics and looking for a good summer flick?
Jim_Langevin: ProvVoter, thanks for a fun question. One of my all-time favorites is definitely All the President's Men, and I love the Tom Clancy movies, like Clear and Present Danger. Prov Voter: Thanks Congressman Langevin! I will be sure to check those out.
KJDonovan: Congressman, do you support or oppose providing illegal foreign nationals residing in the United States with a path to citizenship (amnesty) as part of immigration reform? I have previously phoned your office with this very question but have never been able to get an answer.
Jim_Langevin: Hi KJDonovan, and thanks for raising an issue that I know is on a lot of people's minds lately. Let me first say that I don't support amnesty or automatic citizenship for anyone who hasn't played by the rules. However, the fact is that our current immigration system is broken and the reality is that we have approximately 12 million people living in this country who are undocumented. I think the federal government must address the issue of immigration reform in a comprehensive way. I am a co-sponsor of this type of solution, the ASAP Act.

First and foremost the bill requires tougher border security and enforcement, as well as employee verification. Beyond that, the bill would provide a mechanism for people to come out of the shadows, pay back fines and taxes, obtain a non-immigrant visa good for 6 years and eventually allow them to apply for citizenship. But they would be required to get in the back of the line, behind those who are trying to come here the right way.
dee: Why did the continuation of Unemployment Benefits fail?throwing $ at a futile and useless war instead of helping our unemployed is shameful...
Jim_Langevin: Dee, thank you so much for this question, which is a critical priority for me. I was proud to vote in favor of extending unemployment benefits earlier this month, and I've done so several times now. Unfortunately, while the House passed this bill, we have been waiting on action in the Senate. Extending these benefits not only helps those who are in difficult straits because they lost jobs through no fault of their own, but it is also one of the best ways to stimulate our economy. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that for every $1 we spend on unemployment benefits, $1.90 is put into our economy.
Charlie: Congressman Langevin - do we have a plan to somehow deal with our ever increasing budget deficit? I think the stimulus money was needed to "kick start" our economy and we are slowly making headway, but I worry about who will eventually have to pay for it.
Jim_Langevin: Hi Charlie, and this is an issue that has been weighing heavily on me as well. I completely agree - the stimulus was critical to kick-start our economy at a desperate time, allowing us to create jobs and get people back to work. However, as soon as the economy becomes less fragile, we absolutely have to turn our attention to getting our fiscal house in order and addressing the budget deficit and our national debt. We have already taken steps to move in this direction. First, passing health care reform was important to controlling long-term costs - it will save over $100 billion in the first 10 years and approximately $1.2 trillion in the following decade.
As a member of the Budget Committee, I have been active in working on PAYGO legislation passed by the Congress last year, which requires any increase in spending or decrease in revenue be offset by cuts in spending or increased revenue elsewhere. Finally, I am eager to see the results of the President's Bipartisan Deficit Commission, which has been charged with addressing these challenging issues and presenting recommendations to Congress.
Kathleen: Yes. I want to know Congressman Langevin's view on stem cell research... my son was injured and is now paralyzed...so it's a real issue for me..also noting his disability i would like to know if he does not support it why? I would do anything to see my young son maybe have the chance to move or walk again....
Jim_Langevin: Kathleen, thanks for raising an issue that is near and dear to my heart. I am proud to have been one of the leaders in Congress in supporting all forms of stem cell research, which I believe will change the course of medicine in the near future. This research offers the potential for curing some of life's most challenging chronic conditions and diseases, such as Parkinson's, Alzheimers, juvenile diabetes and even people like your son, and myself, with paralysis. I was proud to be at President Obama's side when he removed the restrictions that President Bush had placed on stem cell research, and I look forward to new advances, while ensuring that research proceeds ethically and responsibly.
hnw: Are there any proposals from Republicans that you find productive and useful? It appears that at both the local level and federal level polarization is hurting our country and if you agree, what can you do to stop it?
Jim_Langevin: I totally agree, hnw, there is far too much partisanship in politics and it's not helping our country to deal with the important issues facing the American people. I have always sought opportunities to reach across the aisle and work in a bipartisan way, whether it's finding Republican co-sponsors for my initiatives such as health care reform and respite care, or the bipartisan caucuses that I have created on disabilities issues, cybersecurity, the olympics and paralympics and submarines. I am also proud to sit on the House Armed Services Committee, where we are all - regardless of party - always looking for ways to support our troops. I bring this same spirit of bipartisanship to the Strategic Forces Subcommmittee, which I chair.
steve: hello sir, what will you do to make it easier for families to obtain home loans!! banks are making it very hard!
Jim_Langevin: Steve, I have heard these concerns from many of my constituents. As you know, Rhode Island has one of the highest unemployment rates and foreclosure rates in the country, and this is something that weighs on my mind every day. I have worked closely with Rhode Island Housing and held several foreclosure prevention workshops. In Congress, I was proud to support a bill to reform the Federal Housing Administration, which will ensure that responsible families have the opportunity to purchase a home but also put in place measures to prevent a future crisis. In addition, due to our high foreclosure rate, RI was selected to receive $43 million in federal funding to help with loan modifications, temporary homeowner assistance and moving costs.
jenniferms: What needs to be done to bring more jobs to Rhode Island? Be specific.
Jim_Langevin: Hi jenniferms, thanks for the question. Right now, I see creating jobs as my top priority. The Recovery Act provided funds to RI for job training, which has allowed companies like Capco Steel abnd Warwick Ice Cream, both of which I have had the opportunity to visit, to hire and train new workers. Also, my role on the Armed Services Committee allowed me to fight for our defense industrial base here at home, ensuring that we continue to build subs. Due to my work, in 2011 Electrib Boat will begin building two subs per year, which will create hundreds of new jobs in Quonset. I believe that alternative energy projects also will be vitallyimportant for the future of our state, especially if we are successful in creating a wind farm off our coast.
Jim_Langevin: Thanks so much to all of you for tuning in today. I'm sorry the time seemed to go by so quicly, and I know I missed a lot of good questions. I would encourage you to visit my website, langevin.house.gov, for more information or to send me an email, or you can feel free to contact my office at 732-9400. I would also welcome you to follow me on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, and I look forward to continuing the conversation.
It's been an honor representing Rhode Island over the last 10 years. I've never taken your support for granted, and I never will. I know that these are challenging times, but I know that we are a resilient state. I've always believed that challenges shouldn't derail us, they should empower us. I know that with our innovative and determined spirit that we have within us as Rhode Islanders that together we're on the road to creating a stronger state and a better future.

0 komentar: