Renegade eBay Strategy-- The Unexpected Gift

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Something happened last month that NEVER happens to me. I opened a package from an eBay order to discover that not only had the item been superbly packed with ample bubble wrap to protect the contents, but there were a bag of M&M's sitting on the top of the bubble wrap. I whipped out my camera so you could see what I saw. Here it is:
The gift was so unexpected that it caught me off guard. I teach this stuff, and it still caught me off guard. Why? Because it never happens! Think about it. When was the last time you received a package that contained a special gift, something special that you didn't order and were not expecting? I'm confident that most if not all readers will have to think long and hard about that one.
Anyway, I was so taken aback that I later analyzed how I had felt when I opened the box. What surprised me was that even though I teach people to include a gift, when I opened this box, I had a grin from ear to ear, I had a smile on my face, and my opinion of the seller skyrocketed. I thought to myself, ‘what a kind and thoughtful gesture, this company obviously values my business.' That reaction I just described should make you think very carefully.
If a simple gift like a bag of M&M's could elicit such a powerful response from ME, when I TEACH this approach, how much more effective it must be when directed towards ‘normal' buyers.
This begs the question, what are YOU doing for your customers that's unexpected? Do you send out a free gift with every order?
What kinds of things can you sell if M&M's aren't appropriate?
Magnets, pens, keychains, calendars, mousemats, and cookies are all good options. Some of those items can even be branded with your businesses details, to further promote your products or services long after the sale.
I know of one seller of movie DVD's on eBay who includes a free bag of microwaveable popcorn with every order, without letting customers know. The gift is completely unexpected.
Would YOU order again from such a seller? Of course you would!
Most people are short-sighted to only look at the up-front cost of buying items like this. If only they realized the lifetime value of each customer that results from using gifts with orders.
“Renegade eBay sellers use free gifts to provide an outstanding customer experience.”
Like I said before, because no one does it, it's a HUGE deal for customers. They feel special, valued. They're FAR more likely to order from you again, and they're FAR more likely to be a loyal customer. An experience like this sticks with the customer, they remember. It's sad that what we've reviewed here is a ‘renegade' (unconventional) strategy. It shouldn't be.

0 komentar: